How to Perform Legal Interpreting in Medical and Community Settings
SKU#: 42 Legal Interpreting
An overview of the field of legal interpreting designed for both new interpreters and interpreters in other specializations.
Course length: 2 hours
Course access period: 60 days from purchase date
Once purchased, course access cannot be paused.
Course completion requirements: Pass one exit test (score of 70% or above).
Certificate: Downloadable certificate available immediately upon passing the exit test.
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI): 2 CCHI CE hours
- Maryland Court Interpreter Program: 2 CE credits
- Ontario Council on Community Interpreting: 2 OCCI PDUs
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Identify three key differences between legal and community (including medical) interpreting.
- Discuss a six-step protocol to self-assess if you are competent to perform legal interpreting in community settings.
What you will get:
- Your video instructor: Marjory A. Bancroft, MA
- 9 interactive exercises, including a legal interpreting overview quiz and a role play in 9 language pairs
- Access to two films that show spoken language-legal interpreting in a police department and discuss signed-language legal interpreting for police
- A comparison of legal and community/medical interpreting ethics
- An overview of interpreting for worker’s compensation
- Sections from The Community Interpreter®: An International Textbook and The Medical Interpreter: A Foundation Textbook for Medical Interpreting
- Course completion certificate
How this lesson will improve your practice:
- Know if legal interpreting is part of community interpreting.
- Understand the relationship between court and legal interpreting.
- Be able to define legal interpreting and understand key similarities and differences between legal and community (including medical) interpreting.
- Know how to assess whether an assignment is legal interpreting, community/medical interpreting or both.
- Have a protocol to self-assess whether you should perform a legal interpreting assignment and what to do if you accept it.
We found other products you might like!