How to Be a Professional Interpreter
A start-up toolkit for any interpreter who wants to establish a professional career or enhance their professionalism.
Course length: 2 hours
Course access period: 60 days from purchase date
Once purchased, course access cannot be paused.
Course completion requirements: Pass one exit test (score of 70% or above).
Certificate: Downloadable certificate available immediately upon passing the exit test.
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI): 2 CCHI CE hours
- Maryland Court Interpreter Program: 2 CE credits
- Ontario Council on Community Interpreting: 2 OCCI PDUs
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Define professional identity and know how to conduct yourself as a professional interpreter.
- Create a professional development plan for interpreters that includes items for your professional toolkit; areas to improve; and professional goals.
What you will get:
- Your video instructor: Marjory A. Bancroft, MA
- 10 interactive exercises, including a role play in 9 language pairs and self-assessment of the interpreter’s performance
- An interpreter “business toolkit”
- A strategy to assess specific areas to improve the interpreter’s professionalism
- A two-part film showing a medical interpreter speaking privately to a doctor
- A written plan for professional development
- Practice in a three-step model for saying no to requests that violate professional boundaries or conduct
- Sections from The Community Interpreter®: An International Textbook and The Medical Interpreter: A Foundation Textbook for Medical Interpreting
- Course completion certificate
How this lesson will improve your practice:
- Know exactly how to conduct yourself in the field so that you act—and appear—as a true professional.
- Be able to set benchmarks to enhance your professionalism.
- Develop a sense of professional identity and know why it matters.
- Have a written plan for professional development.
- Be able to say “no” to inappropriate requests with professional skill.
We found other products you might like!