Understand Your Role: How Interpreters Make Decisions About Role Boundaries
SKU#: 36 Understand Your Role
A guide to the most hotly-debated topic in community interpreting: the interpreter’s role.
Course length: 1.5 hours
Course access period: Two months from purchase date
Once purchased, course access cannot be paused.
Course completion requirements: Pass one exit test (score of 70% or above).
Certificate: Downloadable certificate available immediately upon passing the exit test.
- Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI): 1.5 CCHI CE hours
- Maryland Court Interpreter Program: 1.5 CE credits
- Ontario Council on Community Interpreting: 1.5 OCCI PDUs
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Explain how the role of the interpreter supports communicative autonomy.
- Analyze and evaluate interpreter decision-making about role boundary challenges.
What you will get:
- Your video instructor: Omari Jeremiah, MA
- 9 interactive exercises, including scenarios to assess the interpreter’s role and a role play in 9 language pairs.
- Guidance on how to clarify your role.
- A valuable three-step model on “how to say no” to unprofessional requests.
- Sections from The Community Interpreter®: An International Textbook and The Medical Interpreter: A Foundation Textbook for Medical Interpreting
- Course completion certificate
How this lesson will improve your practice:
- Have a better understanding of the interpreter’s role and why it matters.
- Know how to clarify your role.
- Have tools to decide if requests fall into your role or outside it.
- See how interpreters need to have a shared understanding of their role to avoid confusion.
- Understand that role “limitations” can also be a strength.
We found other products you might like!